Blog The First-Jingle Bell Rocks



Well, I suppose a good place to start my blog about Christmas stuff is Mitchell Kezin's delightful film about Christmas music aficionados, Jingle Bell Rocks. The movie features, as I like to say when I tell people about it, amateur weirdos, who really like Christmas  music, along with some professional weirdos, like Flaming Lips's Kevin Coyne, Radio man, Dr. Demento, and John Waters. It also has some incredible musicians like Run of Run-DMC, calypso legend, The Mighty Sparrow, and "Schoolhouse Rocks" vocal legend Bob Dourer, who wrote one of the best Christmas songs you have not heard. The movie is often worth the price of admission alone just for filmmaker Kezin's own story about Christmas and its music.

Anyway, this movie is a good point of entry for this blog, because for a couple of years,  I had been programming Christmas music for a local radio station, KNNZ FM. and started to really get into Christmas music and started being astounded at how much there was out there, in nearly genre of music. There's even, "anti-Christmas" music, which, if you think about, still has to engage Christmas at some level.

I'm not sure how I found this film, but it's now a regular part of my Christmas tradition. I watch it the day after Thanksgiving. I'm still not sure about how I found it, except that I was looking for online sources of Christmas music and somehow, there this movie was.

We'll see where the blog takes us and the effect that some Christmas media seems to have on us.

Around Christmas this will be a place where I post my Christmas music shows. We'll take this journey together.



Check Out My Other Blog
 

Comments

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! Great movie, I regret that I didn't heed the call to submit a short video for that little segment of fellow collectors. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts