Christmas Adjacent-The Last Waltz


 

As explained in the last blog post, I've been doing a series of Christmas music radio shows on KNNZ-FM for a few years now.

 

My show is on Saturdays, and I started my Christmas series on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. This leaves me 3-4 Christmas shows to do following the first one.  So, there I was, wondering what to program, if not Christmas music then what?

Then it hit me. There was one great concert performed many years ago, on a Thanksgiving. The group known as. The Band, was giving it one last hurrah, at Bill Graham's Winterland auditorium.

Quite a history for the group, The quartet of Arkansan Levon Helm, and Canadians Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel and Robbie Robertson. They were employed by rockabilly artist Ronnie Hawkins, provided the back up for a garage rock classic, performed at a couple of the great music festivals, and became besties with the troubadour of the ages.

It could also be said they invented, or helped invent what is known as Americana music these days. The combination of country, folk, blues, and rock that has some currency in the 21st century. Also, if you're going to just call yourselves, The Band, you better have the goods.

So, maybe, by the mid-70s, it was time to pack it all in, after adding to the American songbook.

But, hey, why not get one of the soon-to-be greatest directors of all time, who had edited Woodstock, The Movie, to document it?

So, it stands, as not only the best concert ever on a Thanksgiving, but maybe one of the best concerts ever.

Look at the supporting cast: Neil Diamond, Van Morrison, Dr. John, Joni Mitchell, Paul Butterfield,Muddy Waters, Ringo, Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Eric Clapton, and others.

Last year, I did it all off of Youtube, but I now have the 40th Anniversary CD set. I'll be interspersing the band, with their guest appearances, such as my favorite, which is also my favorite by The Band.

I like to close it with the only Christmas song recorded by The Band and written by Robbie Robertson.

Hopefully, my small rememberance will make another fan out of someone who hears it. 


If you'd like-you can read my other blog:

 



 

Comments

Popular Posts